Dexsol is an injectable dextran gel that is used in the bladder to stop urine backflow from the bladder to the kidneys in children with a condition known as Vesico-Ureteral Reflux (or VUR). Its effectiveness and stability have been approved from KFDA and its insurance coverage reduces cost bearing of patients with the latest treatment for VUR.
Characteristics of product
Recently minimal invasive treatment using filler is becoming gold standard treatment. Since it is a day surgery, would not affect to daily life. Depends on one’s VUR grades, there is slight distinction of operation success rate but full recovery is about 93%.
Positive charge of dextran particles surrounds surfaces of macrophages; macrophages secrete TGF-beta and Interleukins while stimulating Fibroblasts to create new collagen and veins. Newly created collagens combined with nearby tissues, fixation increases which reduce migration of unwanted sites.
The vision can be secured when operator uses thin needle which can be injected smoothly. During operation, anesthetize and inject Dexsol. Injection site would be urethral opening which leads to kidney like image on right side. By injection, artificial ‘volume’ will block the countercurrent as valve without disrupting urine flow.
Easy to handle
Dexsol contains 100% dextran and has characteristics of stimulating collagen to reduce volume decline, less migration and long term effect.
1. Lackgren G, Lottman H, Hensle T, Stenberg A. Endoscopic treatment of vesioureteral reflux and urinary incontinence in children. AUA Update Series. 2003;22:294-299.
2. Lottmann HB, Margaryan M, Bernuy M, et al. The effect of endoscopic injections of dextranomer based on continence and bladder capacity: a prospective study of 31 patients. J Urol. 2002; 168:1663-1867.
3. Capozza N, Lais A, Matarazzo E, Nappo S, Patricolo M, Caione P. Treatment of vesico-ureteric reflux: a new algorithm based on parental preference. BJU International. 2003;92:285-288.
4. Capozza N, Caione P. Dextranomer/hyaluronic acid copolymer implantation for vesico-ureteral reflux: a randomized comparison with antibiotic prophylaxis. J Pediatr 2002; 140: 230-4.
5. Andrew J. Kirsch, Hal C. Scherz, at al. Hydro-distention implantation technique (HIT)-a novel endoscopic treatment for VUR in children and adults Contemporary Urology, April 2005.
Effectiveness & stability
“Dextran is verified its effectiveness and stability by clinical trials”
The facts that reflux may persist for a number of years provide the rationale for treating VUR. Research result was published number of times for more than ten years and more than 100,000 children were cured by VUR treatment with dextran. There was no such thing was continuous adverse effect.
The VUR treatment using dextran is suitable treatment for children who are suffering with vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) by fast checkup and preventing damage of kidney.
1. Capozza N, Caione P. Dextranomer/hyaluronic acid copolymer implantation for vesico-ureteral reflux: a randomized comparison with antibiotic prophylaxis. J Pediatr 2002; 140: 230-4.
2. Sjostrom S, Sillen U, Bachelard M, et al. Spontaneous resolution of high grade infantile vesicoureteral reflux. J Urol 2004; 172: 694-8.